< Back to Gallery < Back to Medium

Featured Artists

Keith Hornblower
Keith Hornblower
Ayot St Lawrence
W&N materials used
Artists’ Water Colour

About Keith Hornblower
Born in the market town of Hitchin, Hertfordshire in 1952, Keith Hornblower always had a passion for art, but at school his art teacher was the only person who actively encouraged it. In those days art was considered a pleasant hobby with no relevance in the workplace.

As a result, his studies culminated in a career in civil/structural engineering - a conventional job - and painting was left behind. He later moved into an architectural practice where he was able to develop his skills as an illustrator. His illustrations proved successful and he was able to make the leap into freelance architectural illustration. Today, over 20 years later, he is now established as a popular traditional illustrator in watercolour and is an active Fellow of the Society of Architectural Illustration.

Keith Hornblower is also an ardent supporter of the Campaign for Drawing and can usually be found encouraging the public to pick up pencil and paper at the Big Draw opening events yearly in October. See the web site for details: http://www.bigdraw.org.uk

Keith Hornblower's Work

"I work in water colour almost exclusively, and always Winsor & Newton. My work is loose and spontaneous; I don’t generally plan my work or do tonal studies, preferring to "wing it" and make adjustments on the fly. This is a worrying trait in an illustrator, but I have a very impulsive nature and like to live on the edge! An outside chance of producing something spectacular is a far better proposition than the certainty of a barely acceptable mediocrity.

My inspiration comes from the likes of Charles Reid, William Walcot (probably the greatest architectural artist of all time) and, of late, John Virtue. For me, the challenge is in portraying a building's character and presence without getting bogged down in irrelevant detail.

Because most of my work is commissioned, I have little time to experiment with my own work, although this situation is beginning to change and I now have a few loyal collectors, although I do not exhibit."

Keith Hornblower uses Winsor & Newton because
know I can rely on the pigment quality, colour consistency and strength. It is the one element I know I don't have to worry about

For further information on Keith Hornblower visit:
www.hornblower.uk.com